Arroz con Pollo Peruano
Peruvian Arroz con Pollo Recipe
The rice with chicken It is a classic of Peruvian cuisine with a delicious flavor thanks to coriander and an unmistakable aroma capable of whetting the appetite of many. Some prefer it with Papa a la Huancaina and others with a Creole sauce, however it may be, it always tastes like heaven. Let's go with the recipe!
How to Prepare Peruvian Rice with Chicken
This delicious dish is derived from the famous Rice with Duck, typical of the city of Chiclayo. Its origin is due to the lack and scarcity of duck in Peru and for that reason the natives of the area begin to breed and use chicken as a replacement. Also another point of difference is the use of beer instead of Chicha de Jora.
|🔪 Prep Time||15 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||30 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||45 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||8 servings|
|🔥 Calories||140 calories|
- 1 onion chopped into very small squares
- 1 bell pepper julienned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of yellow chili
- 1 tablespoon red pepper (panca)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of alverjas (peas)
- 2 carrots chopped into small squares
- 1 cup of black beer if it is Cuzqueña beer better
- 8 pieces of chicken. I prefer thigh or thigh
- 1 1/2 cups ground coriander (cilantro)
- 4 cups of white rice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube Knor or Maggi for example
- Cumin, salt and pepper
- Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and cumin before frying. Mix well so that both seasonings are in all parts of the chicken.
- Put the oil in a pot and when it is hot add the chicken pieces.
- Fry them a little until they are a little golden but not completely. Remove them and put them inside a covered container so they don't get cold.
- While the chicken is frying, take the opportunity to blend the coriander. Blend the coriander leaves with a little water and a little beer (not too liquid). If you have chicken broth you can use it instead of water and it is better.
- In the same pot where you have fried the chicken pieces, add the onion, the ground garlic, the yellow chili, the red chili, salt, pepper and the cube of chicken broth.
- Fry everything for a couple of minutes until the onion is golden, add the blended coriander, fry everything moving so it doesn't burn.
- After a minute or so add the chicken pieces to finish frying along with all the dressing and add a cup of black beer. the rest is for you
- Wait a minute and add 3 cups of water (so far we are going 4 cups of liquids including beer) and wait for the chicken to finish cooking completely.
- Once the chicken is cooked, we remove it in a closed container so that it does not get cold. Add 3 cups of water, the chopped carrots, peas and rice. In total there have been 7 cups of liquid (water and beer) for 4 cups of rice. Personally, I always put a little less than double the cups of rice so that the grainy rice remains.
- Move from time to time so that the rice does not stick to the bottom and when the liquid has reduced, lower the temperature to cook over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Do you want the rice to come out grainy? Below I leave you another tip so that the rice is better grained
- 5 minutes before completing the 20 minutes of cooking the rice, place the chicken pieces and the julienned pepper on top of everything and cover the pot again.
- Wait for the time to expire and enjoy.
Tips so that the onion does not make you cry and so that the rice looks good on you.
Tips and tricks
- To cut onion without crying I advise you to leave the onions soaking in cold water for about 10 minutes before cutting them, having previously removed the layers that you are not going to use.
- So that the rice stays granulated I recommend you cover the rice with a plastic bag just when you have reduced the water in the rice and you are about to lower the heat to let it cook for 20 minutes.
- If these tips have helped you, I would appreciate it if you share this recipe and leave your comments below.
Many comment that the Peruvian-style Arroz con Pollo is a derivation of the typical Rice with Duck from northern Peru but that was created and adapted in the capital.
According to what they say, this change was due to the difficulty of finding the main ingredients of Arroz con Pato and their high cost (duck and Chicha de Jora).
If there is something characteristic of our cuisine, it is precisely that ability to adapt to circumstances and create our own versions, giving new dishes our special touch based on our unique ingredients (read: yellow chili, among others). This is how chicken replaced duck and black beer replaced Chicha de Jora .
Rice with Chicken is a traditional dish of peruvian cuisine , which has its own versions in many Latin American countries (Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, etc) and that everyone likes. If you are Peruvian, surely you have eaten it with different companions (Papa a la Huancaina, Salsa Criolla and others) or simply alone.
Rice with Chicken in Peru is characterized by using the typical products of the land, like the yellow pepper or the Chicha de Jora, frequently used in the north of Peru.
This delicious recipe for Arroz con Pollo is usually prepared many times at family parties in Peruvian homes, I would risk saying that it is a birthday classic.
The taste and smell are delicious and unmistakable thanks to coriander (cilantro) and black beer.
If you liked this recipe for Peruvian-style Chicken and Rice share it by clicking any of the buttons below. Enjoy and Share!
Here are other recipes for Peruvian rice dishes that may interest you:
- Juane in a few steps
- Chicken Chaufa Rice Recipe
- Delicious recipe for Garden Rice
- Quick and easy covered rice
- How to prepare Homemade Rice with Duck
User Review( votes)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Arroz con Pollo Peruano you can visit our category Rice.