Peruvian Camotillo Recipe
Despite having seen it for years in my grandmother's candy containers, I had never tried Camotillo, so I decided look for the recipe and prepare it to be able to write this note with “knowledge of cause”. Lets go cook!
How to Prepare Camotillo
Now, I can say that this sweet is very tasty and very simple to make, also because of its presentation it is an ideal treat for children, which we can make at home.
|🔪 Prep Time||10 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||30 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||40 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||10 servings|
|🔥 Calories||125 calories|
- 1 kg of very ripe yellow sweet potato
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 table orange peel
- Small colored dragees
- After washing the sweet potatoes very well, place them in a pot with plenty of water and cook until they are ready (approximately 20 minutes).
- Once cooked, wait for them to cool down a bit before peeling them, then with the help of a fork or potato masher, mash them as if to make a puree.
- Place the mashed sweet potato in the pot, add the orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and orange peel.
- Mix all the ingredients and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- Cook until it has the consistency of a thick puree, stirring constantly, taking care not to stick to the bottom. Once ready, remove from the burner and remove the orange peel, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Place the parchment paper on the baking sheet and with the help of a spoon or pastry bag, form small rectangles of the mixture on the sheet.
- Heat the oven to 175 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, make a small incision in the middle and pour a little colored dragees into each one.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove them and let them rest until they are cold.
tip so that the Camotillo is tastier
Tips and tricks
- To intensify the flavor and sweetness of the sweet potatoes, it is recommended to leave them in the sun for a couple of days until they turn an intense orange color.
The Camotillo is a Peruvian sweet that originates during the colonial era, as a variant of the ancient sweet potato , which was one of the main foods of the Inca population, since this tuber has been cultivated in our lands for more than 8,000 years. During the colonial era, the convents that were founded throughout the country were the centers of creation of the most exquisite desserts, among them the chamotillo .
Camotillo is a more sophisticated version of the traditional sweet potato that was created to be consumed by the middle class. They also created another called Angel Hair , which was for the exclusive consumption of the upper class or aristocracy, that is, they used this sweet to make a distinction between social classes and the original sweet was associated with the "plebs".
Sweet potato consumption is highly recommended by nutritionists, because it is rich in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants that favor the skin, protect the mucous membranes, help hair growth and strengthen our immune system.
I also discovered that children were the target audience that Camotillo is really aimed at, proving once again the wisdom of our grandmothers, since what seems like a simple treat was actually a homemade vitamin, since they knew that Sweet Potato ( sweet potato, sweet potato, or sweet potato ) made their hair shiny and their skin prettier, gave them energy and also helped with bronchial diseases.
With great sadness we see that, like other sweets of yesteryear, every day there are fewer Camotillos in candy stores, because very few people know how to make them and they are lost over time.
Don't forget to tell us about your experience. comment, rate and share the recipe with your friends and family on all social networks. Thanks!
To continue with the experience of more recipes from peruvian desserts We recommend the following links:
- A recipe from granny, know the Bienmesabe
- How to prepare Turrón de Doña Pepa
- Recipe of the very Peruvian Mazamorra Morada
- Prepare Rice Pudding Peruvian Style
- Complete recipe for the delicious Picarones
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Camotillo you can visit our category Desserts.
Leave a Reply