Peruvian Carapulcra Recipe
Carapulcra warm with yucca or with rice It is very popular throughout Peru, but especially in the cities that are located south of Lima, such as Cañete, Chincha, Ica and others. In addition, this dish is a classic for birthdays and parties. Would you like to learn how to prepare it? Then read on.
How to prepare Carapulcra
The Carapulcra recipe is a typical Peruvian dish and is considered one of the oldest and comes from the Peruvian highlands. Many years ago it was prepared with different meats such as llamas or alpacas. Nowadays we eat it with pork, chicken or hen.
|🔪 Prep Time||10 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||20 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||30 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||200 calories|
- 1/2 kg of dry potato previously lightly toasted and soaked for a couple of hours.
- 1/2 kg of pork or chicken meat
- 50 g of roasted and ground peanuts
- 1 large red onion diced
- 4 tablespoons of ground panca pepper
- 1/4 cup of sweet red wine
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1 small tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 kg of white rice prepared to accompany
- Parsley, cumin, salt and pepper
- First fry the pork meat with a little oil. The goal is to brown it a little but without frying it completely. Then remove it and store it in a closed container to conserve its heat.
- Next, heat a little oil in a pot and add the red onion cut into squares. When the color of the onion changes, add the ground garlic, the red chili and let it cook a little.
- Now add the fried pork meat, mix well, add a little cumin, pepper and let it fry a little, being careful not to burn it.
- Then add the previously soaked dry potato and mix everything. Be careful if for some reason the dried potato is not soft or you do not want to wait long, you can cook it in water for a few minutes.
- Then add the cup of meat broth and the wine, move everything and let it cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Correct the salt and add the roasted and ground peanuts, move and leave it for 5 more minutes. If you see that it thickens too much add a little hot water. Attention, move from time to time so that it does not stick to the bottom and that's it.
Now I leave you 3 incredible Tips for your Carapulcra to impress your guests.
Tips and tricks
- Serve the Carapulcra with white rice or yucca, Creole sauce and decorate with a little parsley.
- If possible, replace the meat broth with pork leg broth.
- In the last step after adding the roasted and ground peanuts, add 3 pieces of a chocolate bar, it can be regular or dark chocolate.
The name Carapulcra comes from the Aymara «qala phurk'a» which means stew made on hot stones. is considered one of the oldest dishes in Peru and in the Inca times it was prepared with potatoes, llama or alpaca meat and stones inside a clay pot.
Over the years, this dish also reached the coast of Peru, a place where most of the African descendants lived and it was they who added peanuts (groundnuts) and other species such as red chili.
This dish was considered during the 17th century as food for the poor and it was not until the middle of the 19th century that it reached the homes of the Lima middle class. Another dish that received the same consideration was the Anticuchos with heart and others prepared with the viscera of the cattle.
The ingredients of this recipe are very varied, and have evolved over the years in our country. Its preparation is simple, and it does not take much effort or time, ideal to prepare at parties or family gatherings.
If you think you liked this recipe, I ask you to share it with your friends on social networks and comment below.
Here we offer you some Peruvian meat-based delicacies:
- Sauteed Loin Recipe
- How to prepare a delicious Grilled Chicken
- Delicious recipe for Ají de Gallina
- Chicken stew in a few steps
- How to make Chicken Sillao
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Carapulcra you can visit our category Meats.