Peruvian Causa Rellena Recipe
To speak of the Stuffed Cause is to speak of one of the most traditional dishes of Peruvian cuisine . The story goes that this dish was already consumed in pre-Columbian times. In those times it was a dough prepared with a yellow potato base mixed with yellow pepper. Would you like to prepare it? Let's do it!
How to prepare stuffed cause
Years later, with the arrival of the Spaniards in Peruvian territory, lemon was added and this is how it is currently prepared with its different variants: Causa Limeña, Causa Stuffed with Chicken, Causa of Tuna, Causa of Seafood, Causa of vegetables, among others .
|🔪 Prep Time||20 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||40 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||1 hour|
|🍽️ Servings||4 servings|
|🔥 Calories||200 calories|
For the mass
- 1 of potato (potato) preferably yellow
- 4 lemons (limes), small green
- 2 yellow peppers
- Sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper
For the filling
- 1/2kg of carrots
- 1/2kg of peas (peas)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 avocado (avocado) – OPTIONAL
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- black olives
- 1 lettuce
- Boil the potatoes with a slice of lemon to give it a sour touch. She makes sure they don't overcook and don't fall apart.
- Peel the potatoes while they are still hot and press until you get a smooth dough without lumps. let it cool.
- When the potatoes are cold, add the lemon juice, the liquefied yellow pepper (without veins), salt and pepper little by little and test the degree of acidity.
- If the dough is very dry, add a little oil and mix with your hands.
- Boil the chicken breast long enough until cooked through and shred or cut into small pieces.
- Boil the carrots and chop them into small squares.
- Boil the peas and reserve them.
- Toss shredded chicken, carrots and peas with mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want, add a few drops of lemon (not too many), this will give the filling an acid flavor.
- To serve use an aluminum cooking mold, a glass or your own hands.
- First place a layer of the mass of the cause.
- Then a layer of chopped avocado. This step is optional.
- One more layer of dough.
- Now put the stuffing generously.
- And to finish one more layer of the dough.
Do you want a good suggestion to get a good dough for the stuffed Causa? down here we leave you 3 tips for it.
Tips and tricks
- To get a good dough for the Stuffed Cause you should peel the potatoes the hotter the better and never use water to cool them.
- We know that it is very difficult to peel them when they are hot, but you can use oven mitts.
- And if for some reason the dough is too watery, you can add a spoonful of flour little by little, beware only one. Good luck!
The stuffed Causa is a dish that is enjoyed in each of the Peruvian homes and for some years in many parts of the world thanks to the popularity that Peruvian cuisine has been gaining in different parts of the world. Made from potato (potato), food that in Peru is an institution.
Around the world there are about 5000 kinds of potatoes and in Peru about 3000 specimens are cultivated. Also in Peru is the International Potato Center (CPI) founded in 1971 where scientific research on this tuber is carried out.
There are two theories about the origin of the name, the first refers to the period of the Viceroyalty in Peru . In those times when this dish already existed, it was called Kausay, which in Quechua means potato and also food. It should be noted that the potato was one of the most important foods within the Inca culture diet .
The second theory points to the time of the war with Chile, the Peruvian soldiers, as in all wars, needed economic and food aid. For this reason the women made a food collection among the Peruvian citizens. Naturally, the most contributed was what grew the most on earth: potatoes, lemons, carrots, alverjas (peas), yellow pepper and others.
From the result of this collection of food, the Stuffed Cause was created. It all came about when some women decided to cook the potatoes, mix them with lemon, yellow chili and oil, from this the dough was made and with the other leftover foods the filling was prepared, which was also a mixture of all of them. To raise money, women went from door to door selling this dish repeating the phrase "For the cause" .
If you liked it, remember to tell us how it went. Comment, rate and share this recipe on all your social networks.
You may also be interested in these delicious recipes peruvian entrees :
- Peruvian Anticuchos Recipe
- Learn to prepare Potato Pie
- How to make Peruvian Fish Ceviche
- Stuffed potatoes in a few steps
- Easy recipe for meat or chicken empanadas
User Review( votes)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Causa Rellena you can visit our category Starters.
Hello there, I found your website by means of Google whilst searching for a similar
subject, your site got here up, it appears great. I've bookmarked
it in my google bookmarks.
Hello there, just was aware of your blog via Google, and located that it's really informative.
I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful for
those who proceed this in future. A lot of folks will likely be benefited
from your writing. Cheers!
Leave a Reply