Chilcano de Pescado
Peruvian Chilcano de Pescado Recipe
As we well know the Peru is a fortunate country for its marine wealth and the abundance of fish and shellfish . That is why there are numerous dishes based on fish and seafood, such as the famous Fish Ceviche, Shrimp Chupe, Fish Escabeche, Rice with seafood and also the rich Fish Chilcano . Let's go with the recipe!
How to Prepare Fish Broth Chilcano
This popular soup that is consumed throughout Peru, and of course, always with the region's own fish, which gives it a special and characteristic touch depending on the area in which you try it.
|🔪 Prep Time||10 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||30 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||40 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||210 calories|
- 1 kg of fish with backbone and head.
- 1 branch of celery cut
- 1 branch of chopped parsley
- 1 leek branch (cut leek)
- 1 coriander branch (cut coriander)
- 1 large carrot cut
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 4 potatoes (medium white potatoes cooked and cut into chunks)
- 1 branch of Chinese onion chopped
- Chili to taste
- Salt, pepper and lemon (green lime) to taste
- Clean the fish well and separate the head, backbone, fins and tail. Cut the rest of the fish into medium pieces. We will use these near the end of the recipe.
- Put a pot with 2 liters of cold water and add the cut fish (only the head, backbone, fins and tail), red onion, garlic, carrot, celery stalks, coriander, parsley and leek. And boil everything for about 25 minutes.
- While the fish Chilcano is being made, you will see that a foam will appear at the top. That foam is impurities that always appear when we make any type of fish. Remove it so that the chilcano comes out cleaner and more crystalline.
- After about 25 minutes, strain the Chilcano broth and add the pieces of fish fillet that you cut at the beginning along with the cooked potatoes. Let it cook for 5 more minutes, add salt and pepper, but carefully because sometimes depending on the type of fish it may have a little salt.
- Ready you have it. To serve, you can accompany it with a slice of hot pepper, another of lemon, a little cancha serrana and Chinese onion cut into small pieces.
As we have said, the Chilcano de Pescado is a great restorative and if you want it to come out even better, I recommend these 3 EXCELLENT TIPS I'm leaving you down here.
Tips and tricks
- Have the water very cold, that is, not at room temperature, but for example from the fridge. Eye I said cold not frozen. This will help intensify the flavor at the beginning of cooking the fish.
- Add a glass of white wine (preferably semi-dry) when adding the pieces of fish and potatoes. It will give a special and unmistakable touch to your fish Chilcano.
- Always use fresh fish and preferably corvina, cojinova, conger or bonito.
At "Dictionary of Gastronomy" of Sergio Zapata refers to the fact that the name of Chilcano comes from the district of Chilca – province of Cañete, located 64km south of Lima.
In this book they talk about a soup, prepared by the inhabitants of this typical fishing village, based on fish heads, onion, tomato, salt and pepper. It is also said that this dish has always been very popular among the inhabitants of the area because it is cheap and easy to prepare.
I am sure that many have verified that the Chilcano de Pescado has miraculous properties to relieve discomfort after a long night of partying. Well, this is due to its high content of phosphorus and iron.
So now you know, if you are going to party, have everything ready to prepare a Chilcano de Pescado when you return home or at least have a huarique located where you can recover with a delicious Ceviche and its respective Chilcano.
Did you like the Chilcano de Pescado recipe? leave us your comment, rate the recipe and share on all your social networks with family and friends. It is a way to help us to continue writing more recipes of Peruvian Gastronomy.
If you want to learn how to prepare more Peruvian soups, here is a list of our best recipes:
- Chicken Broth Recipe
- How to prepare Soup a la minute
- Shrimp Chupe in a few steps
- Homemade Peruvian Chicken Soup Recipe
- How to make chaque arequipeño
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Chilcano de Pescado you can visit our category Soups.