Peruvian Frejol Colado Recipe
If you are a mother of a family concerned about giving your children the best nutrition, Strained Beans are an excellent option for children and adults to consume as a dessert. this legume so rich in nutritional properties and health benefits. Let's do it!
How to Prepare Strained Bean
The Strained Bean is not complicated to prepare because there are not many ingredients, but it does require patience, because after obtaining the puree, it must take “point” with the sweet and for this we must be aware of the preparation and constantly moving.
|🔪 Prep Time||30 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||3 hours|
|⏲️ Total Time||3 hours 30 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||12 servings|
|🔥 Calories||160 calories|
- 1 kg of canary beans
- 2 kg of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 can of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- Toasted sesame seeds to taste
- A day before, wash and soak the beans well covered in water, change the water at least a couple of times before going to bed.
- The next day, drain the beans, put them in the pot, cover them with about 5 liters of water and cook for an hour over medium heat.
- After that time, add the cinnamon and the cloves, check how soft the beans are and the amount of water, continue cooking until the beans are very soft (some may split), checking every so often that they will not dry out. This process could take 1 more hour of cooking.
- Once the beans are ready, use the blender or food processor to obtain a cream that is as liquid as possible, you can use the water left over from cooking the beans.
- Add the cream of beans in a tall pot, add the sugar and bring to medium heat, mix well with the wooden spoon and cook stirring constantly. As the mixture thickens, while stirring, add the milk little by little. You'll know it's done when you can see the bottom of the pot as you ladle it over.
- Remove the cooking from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
we have for you some little secrets kitchen for this dessert. Enjoy them!
Tips and tricks
- You can serve it in a large container or in individual confectioners, decorate with toasted sesame seeds and if you like some colored sprinkles.
- Some people may have problems such as gas or bloating when eating beans. To avoid this, it is recommended to change the water several times when the beans are soaking before cooking.
- It is very important to use a tall pot, because this preparation jumps when boiling and we can burn ourselves, it is also good to protect your arm with an oven mitt.
The Strained Bean is a traditional sweet and typical of the Lima region, since colonial times, heritage of our African ancestors. It is said that they were inspired by the European Manjar Blanco, but using Canary Beans or Black Beans as the main ingredient, which was what they had on hand in their work areas.
The origin of this sweet is attributed to the provinces of Cañete and mainly to that of Chincha, where, in addition to being a Canary Bean cultivation area, is where they settled Afro-Peruvian communities , main preparers of Strained Beans.
The name Colado or Colao, has to do with the way they prepared the sweet, after cooking the beans, They “strained” it through a tablecloth in order to obtain the bean paste that would later become the dessert.
This process was called "casting". Nowadays it is easier to process it in the blender. Currently, the most popular for the recipe is the Canarian bean.
Please, do not forget to share your experience when preparing this dish, comment, rate and share the recipe with your family and friends on social networks. Millions of thanks.
Below more links of other delicious Peruvian gastronomy desserts :
- How to prepare Turrón de Doña Pepa
- Recipe of the very Peruvian Mazamorra Morada
- Prepare Rice Pudding Peruvian Style
- Complete recipe for the delicious Picarones
- Learn to prepare Bread Pudding
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Frejol Colado you can visit our category Desserts.
Leave a Reply