Since childhood, most of us have grown up eating Mazamorra morada as a must-have dessert at any birthday or children’s party. This dessert is one of the favorites of most of the people of Lima. It is easy to prepare and as proof we leave you this recipe. Would you like to know more? Let’s do it!
How to Prepare Purple Mazamorra
The purple mazamorra is one of the most popular desserts in Peruvian gastronomy, easy to prepare, cheap, delicious and the perfect companion for cold afternoons. First you will need to prepare 5 liters of Chicha morada although we will only use 3 for the purple mazamorra and the rest you keep to drink whenever you want.
|🔪 Prep Time||30 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||2 hours|
|⏲️ Total Time||2 hours 30 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||170 calories|
- 1.5 kg of purple corn
- 1 pineapple
- 2 apples
- 1 quince
- 1 lemon (lime in other countries outside of Peru)
- 5 liters of water (3 liters will be for the Mazamorra and the remaining 2 for when you want to cool off)
- 3 cloves
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
Ingredients for the Chicha Morada:
- 1.5 cup of sugar 300 grams
- 1 cup of cherries prune
- 100 grams of dried sour cherries
- 1 pineapple in pieces
- 100 grams dried apricot dried apricots
- 100 grams of sweet potato flour
- 100 grams of chuño flour (potato starch). In the tips section (below) I leave you an option in case you cannot find sweet potato or chuño flour
- 1 lemon
- Whole and powdered cinnamon
First we are going to prepare the Chicha morada:
- Boil the corn for 2 hours in the 5 liters of water with the pineapple peel, the apples cut in two, the cloves and the cinnamon until the corn opens.
- Strain and empty the Chicha morada in a container and add the lemon juice.
- Add fresh pineapple and quince in squares.
- Reserve 3 liters for the Chicha morada. The remaining two liters sweeten them if you wish and refrigerate them.
Now that we have the 3 liters of chicha morada we are going to prepare the Mazamorra morada. Let’s go with the instructions:
- Boil the pineapple in pieces in a pot with the dried fruit (cherries, cherries and dried apricots), the sugar and the chicha morada. Wait until the fruit is cooked.
- Then dissolve the sweet potato flour and chuño with cold chicha morada and add to the pot of cooked fruits.
- Move until it takes point, a little thick. Then remove from heat and add the juice of 1 lemon.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
If you want to give a special touch to your Mazamorra morada I leave you these 3 EXCELLENT TIPS down here. Thank you very much!
Tips and tricks
- If you don’t get sweet potato flour or chuño flour, you can use maizena corn flour
- To make the flavor of the nuts more intense, we recommend soaking the nuts overnight.
- The quality of the fruits and nuts you use is of the utmost importance. When some fruits such as pineapple or apple are a bit past. they give off a bitterness that can affect the final result of the preparation, so choose the best products so that it comes out delicious.