Mondonguito a la Italiana
Peruvian Mondonguito a la Italiana Recipe
Italian Mondonguito is another of my favorite dishes, whose main ingredient is beef stomach . I tried it by chance several years ago at the buffet of an old restaurant of Italian descendants and I loved it. What caught my attention the most is that despite the name, we discovered that this dish is very Peruvian. Shall we continue? Let's do it!
How to prepare Italian Mondonguito
Like most of our richest dishes, the Italian Mondonguito is very simple to prepare and it is also very cheap. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find it on the menu of most restaurants, so I dedicated myself to looking for the recipe to make it in House.
|🔪 Prep Time||15 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||25 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||40 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||180 calories|
- 500 grams tripe
- 200 grams of peas (peas)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large tomato without skin
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 kg of white potato washed and without skin to fry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- White rice for accompaniment
- First, wash the tripe very well, removing all the adhering tallow by scraping it with a knife. Once clean, put it to boil in the tall pot, well covered with water and with a tablespoon of salt. Let it cook until soft.
- Once ready, drain the water and cut it into strips about 1.5 cm wide by 3 cm long and reserve in a bowl.
- While the tripe is cooking, precook the carrot and peas in salted water, add the vegetables when the water is boiling and then leave it for approximately 20 minutes, drain the water and bathe them with cold water, drain again, chop the carrot Julienne and reserve in a bowl along with the peas.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise and not too thick, put them in a bowl with water until it is time to fry them.
- Cut the tomato and onion julienne (lengthwise).
- To start cooking, pour oil into the large skillet and heat for a minute over medium-high heat, add the garlic and onion, fry until the onion is transparent, then add the tomato, the chopped tripe and the bay leaf, season with salt and pepper to taste and let it cool for a couple more minutes.
- Add the carrot and peas, add a little enough cooking water to cover them and cook covered over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Check from time to time to add water if necessary and that it does not dry out, the stew should have a little juice.
- Meanwhile, fry the potatoes in a pan with very hot oil and place them on a plate with absorbent paper.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, check the seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
- Turn off the heat and add the fries and mix so that the flavors are absorbed.
And here we leave you 3 tips so that your Italian Mondonguito looks like a movie!!!
Tips and tricks
- If you buy refrigerated and precooked tripe, after washing it, leave it soaking in a little salted water while you prepare the other ingredients. This will give it more flavor.
- It is much better if you use yellow potato instead of white.
- Serve on individual plates, placing a portion of rice as an accompaniment, the mondoguito and finish by sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on it.
We discovered that the Mondoguito a la Italiana has already been in Peru for more than a century and is a contribution of the italian immigrants to our gastronomy, since it is the Peruvian version of a very popular dish in Italy called “Tripa a la Florentina” which is also based on tripe and has tomato sauce and cheese.
Already in Peru, as well as many other foreign dishes, Peruvian products such as yellow pepper and potato were added to the preparation, creating the recipe as we know it today.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do, don't forget comment, rate the recipe and share the recipe with your family and friends on all social networks .
So that you continue enjoying Peruvian cuisine, here we leave you a TOP 5 links to other main dishes:
- Learn to prepare Cau Cau
- Easy recipe of Lomo Saltado
- Carapulcra homemade recipe
- How to prepare Seco de Cabrito
- Recipe to make Pork Adobo
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Mondonguito a la Italiana you can visit our category Meats.