Peruvian Ocopa Arequipeña Recipe
Today we will talk about one of my favorite appetizers, the Ocopa Arequipeña. A delicious, soft and creamy sauce traditionally served bathing some delicious Peruvian potatoes. It is the most recognized dish on the gastronomic menu of the Arequipa region. . In a short time it has earned a good place in the preference of foreigners who have had the opportunity to try it. And here is the recipe!
How to prepare Ocopa Arequipeña
This delicious recipe is very economical and easy to prepare. It is based on the very Peruvian yellow pepper, roasted peanuts, milk and fresh cheese. It is served on fried potatoes and decorated with pieces of hard-boiled egg and black olives.
|🔪 Prep Time||10 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||5 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||15 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||4 servings|
|🔥 Calories||70 calories|
- 12 white potatoes boiled and peeled
- 1 large red onion chopped into chunks
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 6 yellow peppers without seeds or veins
- 4 mirasol peppers without seeds or veins
- 500 grams of fresh cheese cut into pieces
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 200 grams of roasted peanuts
- 6 salt-free soda crackers
- 1 huacatay twig
- Oil and salt to taste
- 12 black olives botijsin pepa
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- Lettuce leaves to taste
- First on a can or directly on medium heat, with the help of tongs, lightly sear the peppers (a pass of 2 seconds on each side).
- Place the pan on the heat, add a tablespoon of oil, brown the garlic and onion until transparent, add the peppers and brown for one more minute, let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Put the frying in the blender, add the peanuts, the milk, the cheese, the huacatay, 3 tablespoons of oil and the soda crackers in pieces, blend at medium speed until they are mixed, for the smoothie and taste the salt, add the necessary amount to taste.
- Continue blending until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous cream, if it is very thick add a little more milk, if it is very liquid add a little more biscuit. Always try the point of salt.
- Cut the potatoes and hard-boiled eggs in half.
CLEVER! We already have our Ocopa to serve our dishes and take directly to the table. On each plate, place a base of lettuce leaves, place 4 pieces of potato on top, bathe with the Ocopa and decorate with a couple of pieces of hard-boiled egg and olives . now to the table !BON APETIT!.
we have for you 3 cooking secrets for this delicious dish.
Tips and tricks
- For a sweet taste you can replace half of soda crackers with vanilla.
- If you are not very fond of peanuts, you can substitute walnuts or pecans; We can also eat alone or by changing the potatoes for parboiled or golden yuccas.
- For a better point of creaminess, help yourself by adding a little more oil.
As we said, the Ocopa Arequipeña is an original and typical dish of the Peruvian city of Arequipa, whose gastronomy It is characterized by being quite spicy, as well as being the pioneers in merging the Andean way of preparation with the European one. It also has the greatest diversity of typical dishes in the country.
According to various sources, its origin dates back to the time of the Inca empire , in which the Chasquis (messengers of the Incas who traveled long distances to carry news between territories) carried in a bag called "Ocopa" the basic ingredients of the current cream, peppers, peanuts and herbs that they mixed by grinding them forming a paste and they ate as a snack during their long walks.
For a long time, Ocopa was considered just a spicy sauce to accompany meals, based on peanuts, mirasol chili and huacatay, with the arrival of the Spaniards and cattle, little by little the dairy ingredients of the recipe were incorporated current as well as changing its way of preparation, from the traditional grinding by hand in a fulling mill to the use of the modern blender.
Please, do not forget to share your experience when preparing this dish. Comment, rate the recipe and share with friends and family through your social networks. Millions of thanks!
Next, so that you continue eating divine, we share more links of other delicious Peruvian dishes:
- Prepare a delicious Peruvian Fish Ceviche
- Learn what Malrabia is, original recipe
- Learn how to prepare the delicious Stuffed Potato
- How to prepare a delicious Italian Mondonguito
- Heart Anticuchos Recipe
User Review( votes)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Ocopa Arequipeña you can visit our category Starters.