Less than a year ago I discovered the famous Pastel de Papaen Arequipa, although my mother always tells me how my grandmother prepared it at home, I had not had the opportunity to try it. The recipe is simple, yielding and delicious. Would you like to know more about this delicious cake? Let’s do it!
How to Prepare Pastel de Papa
This cake does not have any filling, it is made up of layers of finely cut potatoes which are accompanied by a mixture of milk, eggs and plenty of cheese. Sometimes it is served as an appetizer and other times as a side dish that accompanies the stuffed rocoto.
|🔪 Prep Time||15 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||35 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||50 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||180 calories|
- 1 ½ kg white potato preferably
- 3 eggs
- 350g of Serrano cheese
- 1 bar of butter
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- Whole anise and salt
- Wash the potatoes, peel them and cut them into slices. Calculate to make the cuts neither so thick nor so thin since the cooking will depend on this, try to make these slices homogeneous so that there is equality at the time of cooking.
- Prepare a baking dish and grease it with butter. Place the sliced potatoes interspersed with small pieces of butter and form different layers trying to make them homogeneous.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, pour in the milk little by little and also the salt and anise.
- Now add this mixture to the source with the potatoes until they are completely covered.
- Slice cheese over cake.
- Turn on the oven to a temperature of 180 ° C, let it heat up for 15 minutes before placing the source.
- When this time has passed, introduce it and let it cook for 35 minutes.
- Check from time to time to prevent the potato cake from browning too much. Control the temperature of the oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve in square portions.
Here we leave for you 3 great tips! that you can not miss !
Tips and tricks
- The cheese that we will use for the preparation must not be pasteurized, nor buttery, it must be serrano, above all, have the characteristic of melting.
- You must use white potatoes, it can be pink potatoes too, but don’t worry about yellow potatoes, or huayro because they are floury and end up falling apart.
- The height of your potato cake will depend on how many layers of potato slices you put on it. Calculate more or less how much you think will be enough and enjoy it.
Potato Cake is a dish that is consumed in several countries of South America . However, it is originally British , your reference Origin is the Cottage Pie , which in Spanish translates “Ranch Pie” .
In the United Kingdom usually the name varies according to the type of meat used for stuffing, in South America beef is used, such as in Chile and Argentina. In Peru, Arequipa, we do not use filling for this cake.