Peruvian Tallarines Verdes Recipe
Green noodles in Peru were born from the need of Italian immigrants to enjoy their famous pesto pasta . Not having all the ingredients, they tried to prepare it as similar as possible and this is how this delicious stew is created. Do you dare to prepare it with us?
How to Prepare Green Noodles
The green noodles are one more example of the many dishes that were created thanks to the ingenuity and creativity of one of the foreign communities that came to Peru in search of a better future. A rich pasta bathed in the Peruvian variant of the famous pesto sauce. A delicacy that you should not stop trying.
|🔪 Prep Time||10 minutes|
|🍲 Cook Time||10 minutes|
|⏲️ Total Time||20 minutes|
|🍽️ Servings||6 servings|
|🔥 Calories||180 calories|
- 1 kg noodles (spaghetti)
- 300 g of fresh basil
- 1/2 kg of fresh spinach
- 400 gr of fresh cheese
- 120 g of Parmesan cheese
- 200 g of ground pecans
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- First, boil the water with a little salt and when it is hot, add the pasta until it is “al dente”, the time depends on the type of pasta and the brand, but it is usually between 8 to 10 minutes. Go testing until you're ready.
- While the pasta is cooking put a pot with water and when it is boiling add the basil for a minute, then remove it and remove the water.
- In a frying pan with a little oil, lightly fry the spinach leaves and remove them.
- Then add 1/2 cup of oil to the blender, evaporated milk, and blend the spinach little by little. When you have obtained the cream, add the basil and blend again.
- Once all the spinach and basil are blended, add the two cloves of garlic, the fresh cheese, the Parmesan cheese, the pecans, salt, pepper and continue blending until you get the sauce.
- Now that you have the boiled noodles and the sauce, all you have to do is mix them. In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of olive oil and when it is a little hot, add the noodles and then the green sauce.
- Stir until the noodles change color and turn completely green.
If you wish you can accompany it with a breaded steak
- To fry the steak, brush the steak with a little olive oil on both sides.
- Add salt, pepper and cumin.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over steak until completely coated on both sides.
- Finally fry it in a pan with hot oil and put it on the green noodles.
Around 1872 the european expatriate association , with the aim of promoting the immigration of inhabitants of the old world to Peru.
These groups received economic aid for the first months of settling in the country and also aid for the transfer from Europe to Peru.
A large participation of European citizens was expected but it was not. Nearly 13,000 Italian citizens arrived in Peru, a number very different from those who settled in other countries such as the US or Argentina, 3.5 and 2 million respectively.
Italian immigration and gastronomy
Most Italians chose Lima and Callao to start their adventure in their new country, however, others preferred to take other directions and go, for example, to the regions of Chanchamayo and La Merced in search of the colonization of those distant areas.
Most of the Italian immigrants came from the areas of Liguria and Lombardia. They were good merchants and quickly established their food-focused businesses . Thus, from that moment our kitchen was enriched and favored by the great italian culinary culture .
One of the characteristic dishes of the Ligurian area are the Spaghetti Al Pesto , but back then it was not possible to find all the ingredients to prepare it.
This difficulty did not prevent Italians from enjoying one of their favorite dishes and they looked for alternatives, those alternatives were: the pecan nut instead of the typical nut used in Italy, fresh cheese from the Andes instead of Parmesan cheese and also milk was added that did not exist in the original recipe. In this way the famous Green Noodles are born.
But this was not the only one of the dishes that were introduced by the Italian community in Peru . We also owe them the famous Red noodles , the soup to the minute , the Italian Tripe , the menestrón , the panettone and the ice creams.
If you liked this recipe for Green Noodles with Breaded feel free to share it by clicking any of the buttons below. Thank you and Bon appetit!
You may be interested in more Peruvian pasta recipes:
- Chifa-style Saltado Noodle Recipe
- How to prepare Peruvian Red Noodles
- Very easy creole salted noodle
- Huancaina style noodles recipe with loin
User Review( vote)
If you want to know more recipes similar to Tallarines Verdes you can visit our category Pasta.